Select Page

In accordance with Section 531.09 of the Codified Ordinances of South Euclid, the Chief of Police or his designee, upon finding that two or more nuisance activities have occurred within any 12-month period, may cause a written notice and order to be served on the owner of the property declaring that such property is a nuisance property.  The notice and order shall set forth the nature of the nuisances, the estimated costs to abate any future nuisances, and state that the owner may avoid being charged the costs of abatement by taking steps to prevent any further nuisance activity as set forth in this section.  The notice shall further state that if a third or subsequent nuisance activity as declared in this section occurs within 12 months of the written notice, the City may abate the nuisance by responding to the activities using administrative and law enforcement actions, and the costs of such abatement shall be assessed on the nuisance property.

The existence or growth, on any lot or parcel of land situated within the City, of grass, plants, weeds, vines, vegetation, or undergrowth of more than six (6) inches in height, except flowers, plants, shrubs or other vegetation, planted and cultivated by the owner or occupant thereof, is hereby declared to be a nuisance and the owner, occupant, person having charge, or management, or any person having an equitable or legal interest in such lot or parcel of land, upon written notice, by the Commissioner of Building, shall abate such nuisance, by cutting or destroying or causing to be cut and destroyed such grass, weeds, plants, vines or vegetation, within reasonable time as fixed in such notice.

72 hour notice is provided to properties in violation of the high grass ordinance.  If such violations are not remedied within the prescribed time period, the Housing Department is authorized to abate the nuisance and submit a bill for the actual costs to the owner, occupant, person having charge, and management, or any person having an equitable or legal interest in the lot or parcel of land involved; if such costs are not paid as billed, the matter will be referred to the Chief of Police for criminal nuisance abatement proceedings, as noted previously.