Select Page

On March 22, 2010 the City of South Euclid passed ordinance 11-10, “Registration of Vacant Buildings and Certificates of Occupancy for Vacant Buildings”. The ordinance requires the owner, lessee, or party in control of a vacant property to take the following actions. Failure to do so may result in nuisance abatement action being taken against the property or daily fines of up to $1,000 per day that may result in liens being filed against the property:

Register the vacant building annually
Registration of vacant buildings (residential and commercial structures) is required at the time of vacancy. Forms are available on the website or from the Building and Housing Department. You must complete the form and pay the required $200 registration fee annually as long as the structure remains vacant.

Maintain the vacant building
The vacant building must be compliant with all City codes and ordinances at all times.

Arrange for a City inspection of the property
Before selling, transferring, or conveying any interest in a vacant building, you are required to contact the Building and Housing Department to arrange an interior and exterior inspection of the property. The Certificate of Inspection is valid for one year and for one transfer of the property only.

Make repairs or escrow funds to cover 100% of the city-established escrow hold amount
If violations are not corrected prior to the transfer of the property, the party purchasing the property must complete and submit an Assumption of Violations form to the Housing Department, and an account must be established by a party to the transfer with the title agent handling closing to cover 100% of the city-established escrow hold amount . The escrow amount will be established by the Building Commissioner based on a schedule of fees for “Class A” violations.

Escrow hold amounts are not indicative of the total cost of completing violations
The escrow hold requirement for vacant properties is not meant to be indicative of the total cost of completing violations. It serves as the city’s assurance that all violations will be completed in a timely and workmanlike manner. Any party purchasing a vacant property should conduct the appropriate due diligence to determine the true cost of bringing the property into compliance.

Correction of violations within six months of title transfer
Correction of all violations by parties completing the Assumption of Violations form must be completed, and a Certificate of Compliance obtained, within six months of the date of title transfer. Failure to adhere to this compliance window will result in court action.

Obtain a Certificate of Compliance prior to occupying the structure
Before any vacant building can be occupied, a Certificate of Compliance must be obtained. Once all violations have been found to be corrected by the Building and Housing Department, a certificate of compliance obtained. The fee for the Certificate of Compliance is $200. Escrow funds are not authorized for release until the Certificate of Compliance has been obtained. Failure to obtain a Certificate of Compliance prior to any person occupying the home will result in court action.

Registration/Payment can be done through our online portal at